Petit Paradis – Soup du jour – Cream of Vegetable

I was preparing sauerkraut late at night in the kitchen. I had some of the nice outer leaves of green, crispy cabbages from the Farmer’s Market and a few other bits and pieces that I really thought would do better inside me than the compost bucket.

I chopped them up roughly and put them into the slow cooker. My thought was to gently cook them through over night and then blend them in the morning.

In with the cabbage leaves and hearts went chopped carrots, some celery sticks, a brown onion and some shallots from our garden. Some deep and meaningful grinds of the pepper grinder and a decent pinch of salt. A few leaves and stems of basil. I’d just made a pesto from basil and parsley. Some white potato and a stem of broccoli whose florets we had eaten for the evening meal.

In the morning I blended it completely and after a little more seasoning, served it with the fresh made pesto. Delicious.

soupy pesto pp

About Petit Paradis

I am on a journey with my family to transition as closely as practicable to a state of self-reliance in suburbia. I practice permaculture principles in our house, garden and community. We are on the southern coast of Western Australia. To our north is the rest of the world. To the south, Antarctica.
This entry was posted in Obtain a Yield, Produce No Waste and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Petit Paradis – Soup du jour – Cream of Vegetable

1. tonytomeo says:

How nice. I have been doing that with various greens from the forest, just to avoid the store. There are so many turnip greens, radish greens, mustard greens, dandelions and nettles, and a few others that I have not done anything with yet. I am none too keen on dandelions, but they mix well with others. The onions are a bit farther than I feel like walking for, particularly with so much so close by. Anyway, there are still some old potatoes out there to thicken it up a bit. Goodness; the options for tea are . . . entertaining!

• Fantastic Tony. I’ve been eating salad from our garden (more often recently) and I am amazed at the two rocket (arugula) plants that keep coming back, almost growing overnight in these days of cooler nights and hot, hot days. A bit of nurturing with some water and we manage to feed each other.

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

That is a good one. I did not want to grow it for a long time because it went along with a fad (and I dislike fads). A neighbor had put quite a bit of it into the garden a few years ago, and it was impressively productive. I don’t grow it presently, but would not mind if someone puts more out there at the end of summer. If I remember correctly, we grew it at about this time of year, and in autumn, but not through the arid part of summer.

• tonytomeo says:

I mean, we grew it in spring and autumn. The seasons are opposite here. Anyway, it would be a bit too late to get much of it if started now. Although, it ‘can’ survive through summer. I am pleased with the greens from the wild, so don’t mind one way or the other. (Heck, I might even grow corn, which I insisted I would NOT do earlier.)

• Tony, I am curious about your corn comment and wonder why you would not plant it. Any particular reason?

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

Corn wants more space and water than I am willing to give it. Many other vegetables adapt to the minimal humidity here. However, corn can dry up fast on a breezy day. I can not imagine why it is a common crop in desert climates down south. I know there is plenty of ground water, but it can not be cheap to get it to the crops. Anyway, where I lived in town, the garden space was quite limited. I preferred vegetable plants that continued to produce for a long season, like zucchini and tomatoes. There is space and water here, so even though I am none to keen on growing corn, I just might to it anyway. There are several of us who will take the produce, and some would like corn.

• Thanks for your reply Tony. It is for the same reasons I have never really planted much also. Space and water. Also, as I like to save the seed it is a challenge to plant enough corn plants to really get a good pollination mix and keep the genes supported. Smaller crops do not do this so well. Sometimes it is necessary in order to just keep a variety going, but not ideal. I like corn for the similar reason I like broad beans. The crop itself comes and goes and there is a long wait for it, but the carbon matter is great for the soil. It is for this reason that I will also consider corn in future seasons, but I want to have enough room in the garden and that is at a premium at the moment. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

While ornamental grasses were a fad, I grew some popcorn in a clump in the front garden for foliage. The neighbors did not like it. There were only about thirty stalks stuffed into a tight circle maybe three fee wide or so, but they actually made popcorn!

• Actually, I had a rather successful SMALL patch of corn some years ago and I used it to make popcorn for our sons. It was so different to store bought popcorn. It popped well. Bright white. Virtually all of the kernels popped and it tasted quite fresh and delicious.

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

Can sweet corn be as productive in a small patch? I remember that my great grandfather grew small squares of it when I was a kid. He occasionally took one of the top flowers off to dust the silk with. I suppose I could do the same. I have seen others do it, but never bothered to ask if it was productive. My popcorn had no problem with it. I just grew it for the foliage. The popcorn was an unexpected bonus.

• If I had to guess, I’d say yes. I don’t see why not if it is given all it needs. A good feeding and watering – and that extra hand with pollination sounds like ensuring a harvest. Our popcorn was just fine. From memory probably 15 plants. Really small. But it worked. In theory I would guess that the smaller the gene pool you have the quicker any successive plantings from the seeds produced would result in a corn more closely adapted to your own locale.

Liked by 1 person