Today was our regular site meeting with the Builder and his team.
By the end of today the framing should all be complete. The middle bedroom required some additions to the framing for support plus some ‘packing and plaining‘ to bring parts of the wall studs out level so that the gyprock sits absolutely level as a wall. The original doorway is still in place from the living area, so the new doorway will still need to be added. It was really great to see the formation of the various living areas. Already memories of the dark, musty old house are fading. The focus on the renovation, the layout and regular visits during the project has meant for me that the house is taking on a new life while still maintaining the lovely feel that the original house had.
During our previous meeting last week we discussed how the skirting boards in the living area (part of the existing residence) would integrate into the newer kitchen and living area and into the corridor. We also decided that the original picture rails around the living room be removed until the gyprock is in place so that we can evaluate how we will use them in the finished house given that the fireplace has been removed.
We briefly met the painter this morning and he had painted the back weatherboards with patches of samples from our short list of ‘white’ paints. We discussed the tones and the integration of the front of the house into the back area and within minutes had made a decision. Mrs Petit Paradis left a painted diagram of the front of the house as reference for specific areas. We made the initial decision to use ‘Monument’ months ago when ordering the guttering. We were confident this was a good solid colour to highlight the gutters and barge board. Mrs PP’s research suggested that a colour scheme of three is generally pleasant to the eye and holds true to the era.
Which reminds me of the news we received last Thursday. A friend of ours who had recently dated her house using microfiche council rates records asked if we would like her to use the same method to date Tillellan. Mrs PP was thrilled. By the time the kids were picked up from school our friend was able to tell us the year the first council rates were paid for a residence on the property. More on this later.
The Painter is also happy with the choice of colour scheme. In his opinion it also fits well with the colours of the era, despite the original colour scheme for Tillellan being Indian red and creamy yellow.
I was happy to opt for a straw-coloured tone similar to the raw colour of the newly added weatherboards. I thought it matched the house quite well. But a rough visual of the painted sample put together by Mrs PP plus the discussion with the painter made me a little more confident to let go of my concerns and go with Calendar Blue. The back half of the house will still be a pale white – Antique White USA – and a brighter white, Lexicon White, used for the window frames. The front of the house will be ‘Calendar Blue’ as the main colour to dress up the stucco ( rough-cast render ) on the house level, with Antique White for the weatherboards and garage door. It also matches the overall house with the ‘Monument’ gutters and barge boards. Another of our overall considerations was how the colours would work with the surrounding house colours and landscape. ‘Calendar Blue’ appears to compliment the way Tillellan sits amongst it’s neigbouring abodes, without being a stark contrast – which I am not in favour of.
The porthole windows have been reinstated to the living room and sealed in so that there is less chance of weather damaged. Even as they sit now with the blue-board still surrounding them and the scaffolding standing, they are even more pronounced to the eye given that the outside chimney is no longer standing. Once the stucco is added and painted they will be much more of a feature of that side of the house than they were originally.