It’s been over seven months since I last posted.
It’s usually in the Spring that my thoughts turn to getting observations down about what is going on around me in the garden.
I brought up the blog yesterday and shortly afterwards received a notification that there was a new post on Martins’ blog. It seems I am not the only one to have had a break.
Instead of sitting at the computer typing, I have exchanged my time for hard labour in the garden and extra or increased exercise. As the weather warms up I have come inside to type out some current observations and fix Gran some lunch.
Gran, by the way, has deteriorated a bit further over the last few months. She started on insulin injections a few weeks back and has lost more weight. Thankfully, with the insulin injections and trial and error to get the dose right, Grans horrifically loud and panicked night terrors have eased and we’ve all be able to sleep a little better.
The frogs are still around, but very quiet for this time of the year, possibly due to the disruption to the pond and it’s water levels and also disruption around the garden in general. As I have been working, I have been moving items from spot to spot. Moving container plants around for easier watering, creating new garden beds for summer crops. I have not seen the quenda for some months, but I know it is around. It was digging up my corn seeds. As a result, part of the garden is currently fenced.
Somewhere in the past few months the tagasaste trees I grew from seed and had planted out began to grow, then flower, then grow even taller. They are probably ten foot tall or more at the present time. Also in this time I have either cut down or harvested for mulch parts of the wattle trees that I planted when we first moved in.
In order to plant out more trees on the top of the block I also spent about two days moving rocks from the pile that was dumped there during the renovation. It was incredibly deceptive how many rocks were in that pile. I have more than enough to put towards some future projects. More than I ever thought there would be.
I’ve also sorted through much of the salvaged timber and pieced together a chicken coop. It has a little further to go, but I am amazed at how much I have been able to do without trips to the hardware store.
Overall, the progress has still been frustratingly slow.
So I haven’t felt that there was much to write about anyway. So I didn’t.
Despite the fact that I’ve been recording our evolving backyard adventures for over ten years now.
Some current finds are probably worth mentioning. I saw a young Ring-tail possum sitting on our trellis frame one evening. It was quite still as I stood at the edge of the deck and looked back at it. Clearly they are still around, despite the neighbour’s dog and the gradual cutting down of suburban trees.
Despite being massively neglected throughout the winter, most of our fruit trees and other potted plants survived. Thankfully, we had a wetter winter than last year, which clearly made a difference. In the peak of the winter rainfall our tanks probably overflowed a half dozen times, adding water to our swale further up the slope. Possibly a valid reason for the huge growth spurt of the tagasaste trees.
Now however, the days are warming and the soil is drying. Some of the plants have become heat stressed already and are bolting to seed, others have dropped fruit. Others still are wilting and have heat damage. Hopefully they will pull through.
I continue to organise the backyard into compartments of projects. Each with a time frame and sequence where it will fit in amongst other projects. We have also crossed the line of being in the newly renovated house for two and a half years now, so I am starting to add maintenance projects to my limitless list of things to do.
More to come soon as I begin to finish some of the projects and publish photos.